Nkhoma HospitalAbout Nkhoma Hospital

The village of Nkhoma, its mission community and hospital are located 60km south of Malawi's capital Lilongwe, 15km east off the main road running from Lilongwe to Blantyre.

Over almost 100 years, the hospital has developed from a single missionary doctor equipped only with a qualification in tropical medicine, into a reasonably well-equipped 220-bed facility, with all major departments and a busy eye department. The hospital and Nkhoma synod mission premises are still located at the original mission site with many buildings dating back to 1912, when the mission was founded.

The Hospital's primary catchment area is the surrounding rural 32,000-strong community, but it serves patients from all over Malawi as well as from neighbouring Mozambique. It offers inpatient and outpatient care on site and conducts mobile clinics within its catchment area.

More About Nkhoma Synod Health Department
Nkhoma CCAP (Church of Central Africa Presbyterian) Synod Health Department covers the central area of Malawi and comprises Nkhoma Hospital, 10 Health centres scattered throughout Malawi Central Region, the Nkhoma College of Nursing (training 100 nurses yearly), and several other health structures currently under development.  

On average, every month the 10 health centres see 4900 children under-5 years old, 435 out-patients, 980 mothers in antenatal care and perform an average of 20 deliveries at each health centre. These centres greatly increase access to health care, vital in a country where public and private transport is extremely limited.

 

Browse By Department:

 
Maternity Ward Children's Ward
OPD & Pharmacists Eye Department
Laboratory & X-Ray Medical & Surgical Ward