Health delivery services in Nkhoma Synod began at almost the same time as the work of evangelization with the very first missionaries in 1889. Ordained ministers, who had followed a short course in medicine either in Edinburgh or London, in addition to their theological training, undertook the first medical work. The first qualified medical doctor arrived in Malawi [then Nyasaland] in 1900. A hospital was built at Mvera in 1903, and various Malawian men and women trained as nurses.
A small hospital was built at Nkhoma in 1915 after the move of the headquarters of the Synod from Mvera in Dowa district to Nkhoma in Lilongwe district (50 km from the capital Lilongwe).
Over the years, new wards were built and old ones were replaced, as money became available and as the need increased. Presently we have a reasonably equipped (for Malawi standards) 280-bed hospital with medical, surgical, paediatric, maternity, ophthalmic, isolation and TB wards. The hospital is now 106 years old.
• Christ-centered: Mission oriented and focus on Jesus
• Trustworthiness: Being reliable, dependable and honest
• Integrity: Doing the right things at the right time
• Compassion: Having love for patients, clients and colleagues
• Excellence: Achieving highest quality
To be a leading Christian healthcare and training institution in Malawi, offering affordable, accessible and sustainable services
To provide quality healthcare for all, inspired by the love of Jesus Christ.